Bedroom Window Covering Ideas
Treatments to Block Light and Improve Sleep
Find window treatment options for your bedroom that keep the room dark but still are attractive to look at.
Bedroom curtains should be both practical and attractive. Specially sized or located windows will probably need custom-fit coverings and maybe an interior decorator’s help to get the right look. For most people, even rectangular windows present a design challenge. Here are some basic window treatments listed with their positive and negative attributes. Maybe you can find the style that best suits your needs.
- Positives: Wood blinds give you tight control over how much light gets in the room. You can put the blinds all the way down and rotate them closed, or you can rotate them open to different degrees. Or put the blinds all the way up to let in the sun. They have a clean and masculine look.
- Negatives: Wood blinds are minimalistic and may need to be given a softer look with the addition of a valance at the top. Wood blinds are not easy to clean, with each slat requiring dusting. They can be expensive.
Wood Shutters (Plantation Shutters)
- Positives: They look beautiful and give a romantic, feminine feeling yet still incorporate wood, typically masculine. You can control the light by raising or lowering the slat and can swing the shutters aside to let all the light in. Shutters can last for decades.
- Negatives: You need a wall on each side of the window with enough blank space to allow the shutters to swing open, or they will project into the room. You can’t add a valance to the top, or it will get hit or caught as you swing open the shutter. They can be more expensive to buy than other types of coverings.
Room Darkening Blinds
- Positives: These blinds can make the room dark in the middle of the day, which is great for shift workers or children who nap in the middle of the day. It is also good for children who go to bed before the sun sets or want to get up as soon as it gets light outside. They can be ordered without cords that can be a strangulation hazard for children. Darkening blinds can be custom-made to fit any width window.
- Negatives: Room darkening blinds have no in-between. There are no slats to allow some sun to peek through. They are monochromatic, so to add pattern and interest, you would need to put a valance on the window’s top portion. They are more expensive than regular blinds.
- Positives: Roman shades have a soft and romantic look. Instead of hanging straight down, they droop down in folds. They can come in a variety of fabrics to match any decor.
- Negatives: Because of their droopiness, they can hang open on the sides and let sunlight in, causing your bedroom to be brighter than you may wish in the mornings.
- Positives: You can find traditional curtains at any window covering store. They mount easily onto a curtain rod, which adds an additional decorative element to your room. They come in endless fabric choices. They can be swept closed or pulled open easily. Use a tie-back for a romantic or feminine touch.
- Negatives: They may need to be custom ordered to get the right length for your window. (Try raising the curtain rod above the window if you need more height.) When not done right, they can look dated.